Monday, December 04, 2006

Is Red turning Green?

So who amongst you is going to give me my cricket primer? One measly response from a librarian that finds cricket too boring to figure out. Sad. This is a chance to expand your bubble immeasurably. ;)

In the world outside of cricket, some of you may know that Stéphane Dion was chosen to be the new leader of the Liberal Party of Canada. He was a "dark horse" in that he wasn't really expected to win going into this weekend's convention. While he may not have been my personal first choice, there are some good reasons why he was chosen. One area of particular interest to me is his environmental credentials. Well, who am I to speak about credentials? Having said that, he was the Minister of the Environment. He and his family also have a husky named "Kyoto". In this case it is in reference to the Environmental Accord of the same name and not the city itself. I can only hope that he will represent a clear alternative to many of the Harper government's misguided efforts (in my opinion, of course) especially with relation to the environment. Maybe, just maybe, the Liberal Red will turn an Environmental Green. Just in time for Christmas too. :)

I probably shouldn't be wading into politics and should keep my pedantic, self-centred mumblings to myself. Then again, this would be a damn boring blog if I did.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even though the academic in me has always wanted a philsopher-king as PM, I'm happy with Dion, and his puppy kyoto! :)

Anonymous said...

I am also optimistic about the whole green edge to Stephane. I think we could use someone who is solid in his environmental convictions.

What concerns me, though, is that a bunch of people went right during the last election. Is an environmentalist going to bring people back the liberal party?

Here's hoping. The Conservatives scare me.