Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Grrrrr

It is easy to ignore the injustices that abound when allowing oneself to focus on things of simple beauty (like sunsets).
But when you come out of having just seen Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Prices, it is harder to ignore. An eye-opening and frustrating documentary. The frustration coming only from seeing directly activities that this corporate behemoth undertake. I wish that Wal-Mart were the only ones and that the rest were an improvement. I think that is a delusion though.

I have been lucky enough to see/hear Ken Wiwa speak. He brought up the important point that as long as corporate fiscal responsibility is more closely policed than corporate environmental or social responsibility we will never have the world that we want/need. I can only hope that educating ourselves will help push for the sea change that is necessary.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well put - I couldn't agree more. I like how Ken Wiwa has phrased the problem - so long as profits come before people the inequalties will persist.