Saturday, November 26, 2005

Rock and Roll ain't noise pollution... nor is Sarah Harmer

That title may be influenced, just slightly, by the music that I'm listening to at the moment (just be glad I wasn't listening to AC/DC's "Big Balls"). Then again, it is last night's Sarah Harmer concert that I'm most interested in talking about. I've seen her play a number of times and have enjoyed her music since I first saw her open for Blue Rodeo back in Peterborough (I'm still kicking myself for not picking up her indie album then).

Last night's show was at the Sydenham Street United Church. If you'll pardon my language, it's a hell of a venue. Raked flooring, good acoustics and an intimate atmosphere. It doesn't hurt that it's just a few minutes walk from my house. The show was in support of her latest album "I'm a mountain" and of her efforts to protect the Niagara Escarpment. The show, like her new album had a bit of a lullaby tone to it. It wasn't quite like having her (and the band) in your living room but they definitely felt like part of the community. She even was encouraging a little audience interaction. It may have been because everyone was a little quiet (likely due to the fact we were in a church). Being in the church may have been part of what made them seem such a part of the community. It could also be due to the fact that she is from Kingston so she really is a part of the community. I think I'm starting to ramble. Just to say, it was a great show. C'mon, she sang and played completely un-mic'ed at the end of the night. It was amazing to just appreciate her skill and art undiluted.

Photo of the day... Not Sarah Harmer related (not even someone named Sarah, though you'll see Sarah in my last photo of the day).


Kim, Lena and Arianne at Arianne's wedding in October.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember that concert in Peterborough - it was wonderful. She's a fabulously talented vocalist. It's great to hear that you are still an avid follower of her music. :)

justin said...

No arguement here. :)