Monday, September 18, 2006

I Hate Spam

Sure, canned meat isn't my favourite but Junk Mail is particularly insidious. Call me naive but I am inclined to think that people are, in their hearts, good. The world would be a better place if this were true. Sadly, it is not. I know there are many reasons why this may be the case and that it's not just a choice when people get up in the morning: "Today... I think I'll be bad." Spam just makes me crazy because it is specifically out to fleece people. Not only that, but it assumes that people are stupid. I wish that the web-going, e-mail-sending public could collectively prove spammers wrong (and in doing so, put them out of business) but alas, that is not the case. Your bank is not e-mailing you. Nobody is ever going to ask you to e-mail your credit card information. If they do, take a looooooooong hard look at them. Shifty, shifty.

Why do we have to live within our species just as we live with all the other species? Survival of the fittest results in preying on the weak. I'm Canadian, it's going to be a hard fight to convince me that this strengthens the herd and is better for the whole. I'm not naive enough to believe that convincing the "baddies" out there to be good will be as easy as making sure they wake up on the right side of the bed. I guess that leaves being the change we want to see in the world. And not sending junk.

No comments: