Saturday, October 28, 2006

Best thing ever!

No, I'm not going to write about the coolest car, camera or Mr. T bobblehead. Instead, I want you to think about how when you are completely "dying" for something, it can be the best thing ever. What immediately jumps to mind for me is a sandwich. Yes, a sandwich. It was the summer of '93 and I was in the midst of Educo, an outdoor leadership camp similar to, the more widely-known, Outward Bound. Details of the journey (both personal and physical) aside, we spent a number of days in the mountains near Lillooet, BC. An amazing experience, that didn't necessarily leave me wanting for anything. That being said, on the afternoon we got out of the mountains we went into town and got a bunch of veggies, cheese and bread and we made sandwiches. I swear, they were the best sandwiches I can remember (and that was 13 years ago!). That brings us to today. I played ultimate in what could politely be described as heinous conditions. The rain started last night so the fields were already completely soaked. The rain and win continued throughout the day. Still, we soldiered on. Well, when it was all over and I got home, I found what may have been, the best clothes ever! Super-thick fleece pants and a warm, cozy red-hooded-sweatshirt. Really, you can't go wrong with a red-hooded sweatshirt. Sadly, it is time to figure out some Halloween-type get-up for the evening's festivities. Oh how I'll miss my cozy clothes. Thankfully, barring some unforeseen catastrophe, they'll be waiting for me when I come back. They must really love me. ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How could they not???

Anonymous said...

I had a similar meal to your sandwich of 1993.

I was completing my field work, just NE of Whitecourt, Alberta, and after a particularly difficult day, we set out to make dinner... at 9pm. In this day of 'carb counting', this particular meal would have forced an Atkins dieter into a carb induced diet. We had thick and rich alfredo sauce over pasta with a huge hunk of garlic bread to help it all go down. Doesn't sound like the most amazing meal, but it was.