Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Scared Sacred

I saw a documentary this evening. Scared Sacred seemed to me, a chance to revisit the way we look at the world. For those happily oblivious to the terrible challenges that are faced throughout the world, it is a stark reminder. For those who remain aware of those challenges, it is a chance to revisit your approach to them. I haven't had a chance to talk out my thoughts with others who saw it but I can only imagine that the opportunity to do so will put me in touch with new aspects of the film. To provide a small outline, the filmmaker visited some of the "ground zeros" of the world: Hiroshima, Bhopal, Afghanistan, Israel/Palestine, NYC, Sarajevo, Cambodia. In all those places immeasurable suffering took place (and often continued or continues) but in all those places, hope existed. Hope always exists. That thought can be an extremely comforting one if you are capable of believing it in the darkest of times. While the world may seem to be in one of those times, it is important not to forget that valuable lesson.

It may add to the overall experience to know that the filmmaker is named Velcrow Ripper. Really.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

yo! and agreement that the world is not in a great place... Is hope the answer? I feel more that simply ignoring hope and also fear of the future in favour of doing something that I think is valuable and helpful here and now is the answer. Hope and fear are ends of the same stick. Drop the stick! If fighting about zoning change is where i'm at, then i should do it. If i'm open to life's movements then i'll find my next steps and the people to be with to enhance my life and the planet's.

Anonymous said...

another thought on this topic... there might even be another sliver on the stick of hope and fear...sadness/depression. Although it might not sound too uplifting or inspiring, it is an area that plays on the hopes of people like me. I welcome its occasional visits. I don't get mired for long periods but i find myself questioning my hopes and desires. It's grounding for me when i use it as a means of checking out those wishes and not flying off into a place where my hopes won't be fulfilled anyway. Then i get about what is in front of me and use it to generate my next hope and wish. Thanks for scratching my noggin with your thoughts, Justin.

justin said...

Wise words in the wisecracks section from a wise guy... er, man. Thanks for reflecting back your insights and experiences relating to my sometimes cryptic posts.