Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Whoever said that math was a waste of time was wrong



What are you looking at? Not sure? Does this help?

- An = number of units of alcohol consumed
- S = smokiness of the room (graded from 0-10, where 0 clear air; 10 extremely smoky)
- L = luminance of 'person of interest' (candelas per square metre; typically 1 pitch black; 150 as seen in normal room lighting)
- Vo = Snellen visual acuity (6/6 normal; 6/12 just meets driving standard)
- d = distance from 'person of interest' (metres; 0.5 to 3 metres)


Still don't know what you're looking at? You are looking at the equation used to calculate the "beer goggle" effect. STILL don't know what I'm talking about? While I'm sure none of you have experienced it and I'm entirely sure that I haven't, I can explain this mysterious phenomenon to you (but not in the detail given above). Rather, the "beer goggle" effect is used to explain why someone who would not attract you when you are sober becomes more attractive after a few drinks. Thank goodness that someone finally got around to doing this research! Thank goodness that the BBC for sharing this important breakthrough with the rest of the world. I know I will sleep better knowing this.

No comments: