Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Facebook

Considering the amount of time I waste with it, this is probably a good time to talk about Facebook. For those of you who aren't keeping track, Facebook is a social networking site designed so that existing social networks could stay connected virtually. It started with colleges/universities and has, in the past little while, expanded to whoever wants to have a go. Case in point: my dad has an account. ;)

I've been a little wary of virtual social networks in the past. Friendster, Myspace, and the like bothered me because it felt like they were trying to take the place of true social interactions. I guess it's really all in how you use them. The same could be said of Facebook. I though, am finding Facebook quite interesting because all sorts of people who I've known in my life but haven't been in touch with in a while are popping-up. It's quite a trip to be seeing what people have been up to over the past.... Oh, TWELVE Years! Lots of weddings, a number of kids, all kinds of different jobs and a few dogs. Sure, these might be fleeting contacts but it's better than no contact at all. On top of the benefit of just plain and simple contact, I'm finding out all about the various connections that exist in this small, small world. So besides entertainment I get some "how the crap do you know so-and-so?!" moments. I find those much better than the "what are you doing going through my stuff?!" moments.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, this Facebook thing takes up a lot of time. It's fun to see what people are up to, and what they write on your wall! ;)