Friday, March 16, 2007

Top o' the afternoon!

It is here. The day that people in nooks and crannies all over the world forget their cultural background and consider themselves Irish.

The ubiquitous Irish Pubs throughout the world have a chance to empty their dusty Guinness kegs and shifty guys get to pull out their "Kiss me, I'm Irish" shirts in one last-ditch hope that it will work. The lilt of "top o' the mornin' to ya!" will be heard from in the streets of some otherwise lilt-free city or town. Why, I wonder, is it always the mornin'? No afternoons? No evenings? Time of day aside, it's a chance to get a group together for a good time and I can't argue with that.

So, in honour of one of the most popular Saints around (second to Nicholas, I imagine), I'm going to work on my Gaelic.

Lá 'le Phádraig faoi mhaise duit!

If you got the last line and you're my type then this is for you: Póg mé! Is sort Éireannach mé!

No comments: